Cricket is England’s national summer sport and is now played in many countries around the world. But how popular is the sport in the UK and where is it the most popular? This article will answer these questions and help you understand the scale of the popularity of the sport in the UK.
Cricket Statistics: The Short Version
We have summed up our key findings from our research here. More in depth analysis and research can be found further on in the article.
- Cricket is the second most popular sport in the UK based on search volumes.
- 22,100 people search for “Cricket Bat” every month, indicating the number of people playing the sport.
- The term “Cricket Bat” is searched the most proportionally to population size in Stockport and the least in Cardiff, implying the popularity of the sport in these areas.
- The most viewed Cricket video on YouTube has 200 million views
How Popular is Cricket in the UK?
Cricket is the second most popular sport in the UK, generating an average of 505,000 searches per month, only behind Football. Boxing takes third place with less than half the number of average monthly searches that the term “Cricket” generates, highlighting the popularity of the sport.
Most popular sports in the UK based on search volumes. Search volumes obtained from the keyword analysis tool KWFinder.
Analysing Google trends data displays that Cricket’s popularity peaked in june 2019, coinciding with the Cricket world cup. Furthermore, in June 2019 was the only time where the term “Cricket” was searched more than the term “Football” in the UK. Other than that, the search interest in the topic has remained relatively constant in the UK over the past 17 years. This data can be seen below.
How Popular is Cricket on Social Media?
Cricket has a vast social media presence, with a large amount of views on both TikTok and Instagram with the key statistics bulleted below.
- There are 24.8 billion views on the hashtag #cricket on TikTok.
- The Most viewed video on TikTok with the hashtag #cricket has 4 million views.
- There are 9.6 million posts on Instagram with the hashtag #cricket.
- The England and Wales Cricket Board has 4.8 million subscribers on YouTube.
- Cricket.com.au has 8 million subscribers on YouTube.
- The most viewed Cricket video on YouTube has 200 million views and it is the Nidahas Trophy 2018 Final Match, Final Over – India vs Bangladesh.
As is apparent from the statistics above, Cricket has a huge worldwide reach with millions of fans watching and engaging with Cricket related content. This occurs across all social media that we analysed and from what we found, a large proportion of Cricket fans are based in India.
How Many People Play Cricket in the UK 2021?
From our keyword research, we also analysed a number of terms surrounding the playing of the sport to discover the number of players in the UK. We came to the conclusion that the term “cricket bat” was the most accurate when estimating how many people play the sport as the term indicates serious intent to play cricket. There are on average 22,100 searches per month for the term “Cricket Bat” in the UK which is 8.5% of the number of searches globally (261,000). The most searches for the term occur in India, which search for “Cricket Bat” 185,000 times per month on average.
Where in the UK is Cricket the Most Popular 2021?
Stockport searches the most for “Cricket bat” in proportion to its population, with 66.1 searches for every 100,000 people. This is then followed by Bath and Bolton with 63.3 and 56.6 searches per every 100,000 people respectively. The area we analysed that searches for the term the least was Cardiff, generating only 5.97 searches per every 100,000 people on average.
Summary: Cricket Statistics UK 2021 Roundup
To conclude, cricket remains one of the most popular sports in the UK, with substantial viewership and participation. Furthermore, the search volumes for cricket and cricket related terms remain high, highlighting that people in the UK are still interested in the topic. The social media presence is astronomical with a huge proportion of the viewership being based in India.
We hope this article has been helpful and aided your understanding of the scope of the popularity of Cricket in the UK.