Gymnastics is popular around the world. People perform the sport in many countries and events, such as the Olympic Games. But how popular is gymnastics in the UK? And how many people participate? This article answers these questions, talks about different gymnastics statistics in the UK, and more, just for you.
Gymnastics Statistics - A Quick Summary
Some of the main headlines about what we found are:
- People search for ‘gymnastics’ the most in Stockport.
- There are almost 10,000 searches per month in the UK for ‘gymnastics leotards’.
- There are over 15 million posts using the hashtag ‘#gymnastics’ on Instagram.
How Popular Is Gymnastics In The UK?
|Region||Average Monthly Searches Per 100,000 People For ‘gymnastics’|
|Doncaster||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Yorkshire and the Humber|
To find this data, we researched the average monthly searches for the term ‘gymnastics’ in the most populous areas in the UK. We then divided this number by the population of each place and multiplied by 100,000.
There are a couple of key findings from this table:
- Stockport is the area in which the most searches are made, followed by Rochdale and Peterborough.
- 5 of the top 10 are in the North West, while only 1 place is in a Southern region.
We did the same research, using the same method, for the search term ‘gymnastics leotards’ too and here are our findings:
Average Monthly Searches Per 100,000 People For ‘gymnastics leotards’
Here are a few main things we found:
- Wigan clearly has the most searches per 100,000 people, followed by Peterborough and Warrington.
- Just like above, 5 of the top 10 are in the North West, with 2 being from Southern regions of the UK.
- The figure for Wigan is over 2 times the UK average.
We also wanted to research terms which could indicate people were wanting to buy equipment for gymnastics so we used the same method for the term ‘gymnastics mat’ and found out the following:
Average Monthly Searches Per 100,000 People For ‘gymnastics mat’
Some of the key findings from this table are:
- Glasgow searches for ‘gymnastics mat’ the most, followed by Wigan and Sunderland.
- There are no Southern regions in the top 10.
Gymnastics Across Social Media
Gymnastics is not only a popular sport in general, there are a lot of figures which back up the fact that it’s also popular on social media. We decided to research the sport on the main social media platforms to see what we could find.
One example to use is YouTube. The top 10 most viewed videos on YouTube after searching the term ‘gymnastics’ add up to over 1.1 billion views. This number is absolutely incredible and further reinforces the idea that gymnastics has a large impact on current, modern day society.
TikTok can also be used to research the sport. The hashtag ‘#gymnastics’ has a whopping 16 billion views among the thousands of videos posted with the hashtag. The most popular video has over 12 million likes. This again emphasises the sheer popularity of gymnastics in modern culture.
Instagram is also a great place to research. There’s almost 16 million posts using the hashtag ‘#gymnastics’ on Instagram. This shows that millions of people take to social media in general to show off their passion and love for the sport.
Gymnastics Popularity Statistics UK
In 2020, it was reported that there were around 232,600 people participating in gymnastics and trampolining. Although this isn’t entirely just gymnastics, it’s safe to assume a large proportion of this number is just that sport. This is actually a decline from previous years with a high of 315,200 people in 2017.
It’s clear that there has been a slight decline in recent years, but the fact that more Northern areas search about gymnastics and related terms could indicate that they will push the numbers back up for those taking part in the sport.